Prospect FAQ

Where can I get information on your available properties?

Information on our properties can be found on our website, at our ForRent page or by calling us at 414-255-2277. We can e-mail or fax to you a copy of our available properties list.

How do I view your available properties?

We allow prospective residents to view our available units by contacting the property manager and setting up an appointment or going to the Sunday open houses from 12-4pm. Search our current listing of available properties.

Who must fill out an application?

Each adult, including husband and wife, planning to occupy the property must fill out an application.

I am a student or do not have enough income to qualify for a property, can I still lease one of your properties?

Yes, however we would require you to secure a suitable person to guarantee the lease. View a sample of our Guarantor Form.

What factors do you use in determining if my application is approved?

First and foremost, we operate in strict compliance with all Fair Housing Guidelines. After receiving an application we investigate each of the following:

  • Rental / Ownership History
  • Credit Report
  • Income Verification

How much can I qualify for?

Typically, we require your monthly income to be 3 times the rent payments or have a guarantor fill out a form.

Do you accept pets?

We accept pets on a case by case basis as determined by the owner of the property. In addition, some of our properties allow cats and dogs. For more information about a specific building’s policies, contact us at 414-255-2277. All pets must be listed in the rental agreement. There is a $10 extra charge per month per cat.  Dogs will require an additional deposit in the amount of 1/2 the original security deposit. There is a $25 extra change per month for a dog. Any damage done by the pet is the responsibility of the resident. All pets must be registered and immunized in accordance with local ordinances.  City Hall Square Apartments has a separate pet policy different then the above.  Please contact the CHS office at 414- 727-8974 for details.

How can I pay rent after I move in?

Rent can be paid by check or money order by the first of the month and can be mailed (postmarked by the 5th) to our office at 104 E. Mason St. Suite A, Milwaukee, WI 53202. We also offer a rent drop box in the lobby of the Edgewater at 1742 N. Prospect Ave. Please make sure your check is written out to your building name and that your unit number is clearly indicated. We allow a 5 day grace period after that. Rent received after the 5th of the month is considered late and will incur a $50 late fee. Additionally, late payments must include the late fees of $50 or they will not be accepted.

How much security deposit is required?

We do require a security deposit. Usually the security deposit is the same as one month’s rent.

When is rent due?

Rent is due on the 1st of the month and considered late on the 6th. If you pay rent after the 5th of the month there is a late fee that is assessed equal to $50.

When are new properties posted?

Our website is updated continually to reflect our current inventory of apartments. View available properties